Saturday, February 14, 2009

Memoirs of a Directory-Chucker

So my school's choir, as mentioned in my previous post, is getting Keizer directories out to the city of Keizer as a fundraiser. (we do the job, we get the money) Today is round two. We work in two-partner teams, and last time my partner and I covered about half our route 9 hours. We finish today. I'm still a tad sick, so this will be interesting. So there is this one story I wish to share before embarking on my not-so-epic quest.

We were in a well-to do cul-de-sac dropping off these directory packages which look suspicously like the junkmail we all love to hate, and I come across a place with a "no soliciting" sign. They had two very small, very angry little dogs barking in the window. I kind of chucked the directoy and ran. (The dogs and the no soliciting sign combined gave me the creeps)
Sure enough, I'm halfway to the next house when I hear a doorknob turn, a door creak, and an angry lady comes out of the house, unleashing one of her dogs. She screams at me that there's a reason that they have a "no soliciting" sign. To which I politely respond that we're doing city business. After that, her dog's running around wildly, and she tries in vain to bring the dog back in, obviously embarrassed she was foolish enough to impede my oh-so-important work.

I got really good at throwing directories. There was a point where my partner needed another directory to finish her side of the street, so I threw one in a perfect arc that landed at her feet.
I was feeling pretty good about myself.

One more before I go. Cassidy (my partner) and I both fought to deliver to this HUGE awesome looking house. She was driving, so I beat her to it, but she then forced me to deliver to the house with the large pitbull in the front yard. I proceeded to chuck that sucker right over the pitbull's head, and hit the door really hard. By the time I got back to the car, Cassidy had the car moving and I jumped in exclaiming, "Drive, Starsky!!!"

The owner of the nice house drove past us into his driveway right on cue as I jumped into the car.

Good times...

No comments:

Post a Comment